KCMA / Environmental Stewardship Program
Click HERE to download Certificate
Download More ESP information - pamphlet
Download More ESP information - brochure
What is ESP?
The Environmental Stewardship Program encourages industry policies and practices that benefit the environment and society. The voluntary certification program provides a tangible way for cabinet manufacturers to demonstrate their commitment to sustainability.
ESP goes beyond other environmental programs by taking a holistic approach to certification, holding the industry to higher standards and requiring third party verification for many of its criteria. After meeting the rigorous certification requirements companies are awarded the ESP seal to display on their products.
Statement of Beliefs
ESP confirms and expands upon the following beliefs:
- The forests not only provide outstanding environmental benefits, but also provide an array of renewable wood products and derivatives.
- We encourage the continued and expanded use of forest products.
- We are committed to promoting conservation and the intelligent use of our natural resources.
- We support and encourage responsible forest management practices that promote sustainability and result in long-term economic and environmental benefits.
- We are committed to educating our members and customers in the global wood products community about environmental and forestry issues.
Manufacturers must earn points based on compliance with stringent criteria to be awarded ESP certification. These criteria include, but are not limited to:
- 75% of particleboard, plywood and medium density fiberboard used in the cabinets must be certified to meet lowest formaldehyde emission standards
- 75% of particleboard and medium density fiberboard used in the cabinets must contain 100% recycled or recovered fiber content
- Hardwoods must be certified through an independent and credible sustainable forestry program
- A documented energy conservation program must be in place
- A written Environmental Management System must be available and enforced
- An active recycling program for process wastes must be in place
- All federal, state and local environmental requirements must be observed
- The manufacturer must demonstrate community involvement and leadership through service or charitable organizations
Please visit www.greencabinetsource.org for the most up-to-date listing of KCMA Environmental Stewardship Program certified cabinet manufacturers.